Your Experiences good/bad on the Oticon Intent since introduction

Stan

Reaction score
Hi all,
A audiologist wants to talk me into the Real's instead of the Intent's, because of the "Major issues" of these devices since introduction..Can somebody verify this Story or is he only telling Fairytales ?

I concur with @pvc , there's really no major issue on the Intent as compared to the Real. The only disadvantage of the Intent is that the rechargeable battery is now not easily replaceable at the HCP office anymore. It must be sent back to the factory to be replaced. But it was suggested by Oticon that the Intent's battery should last up to 5 years as opposed to the 3 year span for the more easily removeable Real battery.

The Intent has some major improvements over the Real that your HCP did not disclose to you:

1. The DNN 2.0 improvement over the old DNN 1.0 that was on the More and Real.

2. The BT LE Audio support that will open the door for between sound quality streaming, as well as future support for AuraCast.

3. Better receiver that can self-calibrate for more accurate performance. The drawback for this is that it'd lose the exchangeability of the more universally used old passive receivers.

4. The introduction of the accelerometer to attempt to interpret the user's listening intent. Whether this is a gimmick or an effective technology, it's a new feature that the Real doesn't have, and they've designed this feature to offer significantly more speech contrast over noise compared to the Real without this feature.

5. Longer lasting battery capacity for whole day use, and faster recharge, compared to the Real.

But it was suggested by Oticon that the Intent's battery should last up to 5 years as opposed to the 3 year span for the more easily removeable Real battery.
Thanks @Volusiano This (5-years of battery use) claim is encouraging. Could you point me to a source for that claim. I would like to reference that in DIY School.

Below is the link to the video on YouTube, and a snapshot of that video at 3:51 minutes into the video where it mentions the 5 years of use.

1721096133029.png

Thank you all for your valueable comments on my concerns.
Now I am confident in getting these as a first Aid..
This is the power if a good community.
Thank you.

Hello Members. I finally got my Intent's 1 for a demo period of 60 Days. After a REM and other "tests and turns" I walked out of the Clinic with a Big smile on my Face.. I can hear the full spectrum again. I can understand people talking to me in a loud market place, I can hear their conversations in a distance of 4 meters. Its crazy..
I wear glasses but this hardly effects the pleasure. I got a TV adapter as well for test. That works out of the box as well.

To keep connected with Samsung S22 is... mwah..making phonecalls mwah...
If this is getting the Gamechanger than I might consider another trail with Phonak.
I will keep you Updated. FW 1.1.0 BTW..
Grtz

Last edited:
If you end up keeping the Oticon Intents, then Oticon does a good job with their custom molds. I assume you are wearing domes for the trial.

Some ppl prefer domes over custom molds. My wife prefers domes. She doesn't like the hardness of the acrylic custom molds. I got mine with locks because the custom mold on one ear was popping out when I chew. Here's what they look like on my previous Oticon More 1s (which btw, are not interchangeable with the new Intents because the Intents have a new-style receiver).

InpHIap.jpg

Last edited:
And, here's my Oticon Intent 1's with custom molds; Note that the wax filters for Custom Molds are the Profit Wax Filters and not the smaller miniFit Wax filters.

TIP: Click the image to enlarge! Click it multiple times!! Mouse-Click-and-Hold the enlarged image to Drag it around and view different parts.

DSC_0898.jpg

Last edited:
If you end up keeping the Oticon Intents, then Oticon does a good job with their custom molds. I assume you are wearing domes for the trial.

Some ppl prefer domes over custom molds. My wife prefers domes. She doesn't like the hardness of the acrylic custom molds. I got mine with locks because the custom mold on one ear was popping out when I chew. Here's what they look like on my previous Oticon More 1s (which btw, are not interchangeable with the new Intents because the Intents have a new-style receiver).

InpHIap.jpg
Yes, i got them with Domes, with a retainer wire.. reason 1 is that with this "wire" the receiver stays better in place and second is that there are people who lose their Aids in their first expercience without noticing. For that reason the domes with the small stick (which formes itself in an Hour or So.

Yes, i got them with Domes, with a retainer wire.. reason 1 is that with this "wire" the receiver stays better in place and second is that there are people who lose their Aids in their first expercience without noticing. For that reason the domes with the small stick (which formes itself in an Hour or So.
Oh, the Ear Grips. I used to wear those. They were available only for the Oticon (miniFit 85 and 60) receivers and not available for miniFit 100 receivers. So you had to pick and choose carefully. But these must be new for Oticon Intent because the Intent receivers have changed and are no longer miniFit receivers.
Oticon85dBretentionlock-365130_765x765.jpg

Oh, the Ear Grips. I used to wear those. They were available only for the Oticon (miniFit 85 and 60) receivers and not available for miniFit 100 receivers. So you had to pick and choose carefully. But these must be new for Oticon Intent because the Intent receivers have changed and are no longer miniFit receivers.
Oticon85dBretentionlock-365130_765x765.jpg
Yes. MiniGrip Detect Ear Grip 85. It's on the receiver and it works great.

Thanks Stan! I didn't know that the Ear Grips would work on the new Oticon Intent receivers.

And, I couldn't try them on my receivers because my receivers are encased inside the molds.

Oh wait. I didn't read carefully enough, (MiniGrip Detect Ear Grip 85). So maybe it's a newly designed Ear Grip for Oticon miniFit Detect receivers.

Last edited:

InpHIap.jpg
Costco added locks on mine for free after my left ear mold kept sliding out a little. Works very well in keeping the aid fully seated and comfort level is the same as without the lock.

Costco added locks on mine for free after my left ear mold kept sliding out a little. Works very well in keeping the aid fully seated and comfort level is the same as without the lock.
Thanks for that. That's Great, that Costco offers a remake of your mold for free!

Oticon has free remakes too when something is wrong. Though, I am guessing there is a limit to the number of free remakes. ;)

@kburleigh I was thinking about the free remakes for Costco's molds, and I suspect that it's the hearing aid manufacturer who is footing the bill for free remakes and not Costco. Now, I'm wonder if maybe all the Big-5 manufacturers offer free remakes when something is not right with a mold?

Which Costco hearing aid model was the mold for? Was it recent models from GN ReSound or Philips/Oticon?

I want to share with you my experiences over the last 16 days of wearing these Intent 1 (85dB receiver and venting dome) at an average of 14 hours a day.
Battery life is simply EXCELLENT. After 12 hours of use more than 50% left. Oticon TV adapter; brilliant, clear sound, no Lag with my Sony screen thanks to the Optical signal wire. In my opinion a pleasant option.
Connectivity with my Samsung S22; the connection is not always stable leaving one or the other ear and than reconnect.
HandsFree calling is not as good as a standard ear Bud..For that reason I cut off the BT connection when I get in the Car to have full benefit of the Carkit. (samsung has "routines" for this but i did not got it working to connect the carkit and disconnect the oticon's at the same time..)
Streaming Youtube music and Youtube same Story; leaving one ear or the other and stop the music or video at the same time. There is work to do for oticon after firmware 1.1.0 I would say !

Sound quality is very good and it is very pleasant to hear high frequencies again and put tinnitus to the background this way. understanding speech over a far distance is very good; you can hear people talking to each other in a distance of 5 meters. Amazing.

The soundquality of music in my (full electric) car is awfull. The voices are cracky and annoying. Switching from General program to Music in the App does not make a difference here.. On the other hand, classical music over the speakers in my house is ok. Speaking of the App: simple, easy to use and no conflicts up till now. Besides the equalizer no options to adjust the programs Set by the Audi. In my case the MyMusic program is too loud and needs to be adjusted in Time.
When riding my bike you hear a wind whistle'I turn to Mute. Pleasant feature; you hear google Maps route instructions in your ears, also when Muted. Nice !
I am fitted with receiver lenght 2 with the Grip tip which helps the dome to keep in place. This works well. I wear glasses so the Intent's are a bit pushed aside. I get compliments about the slim size of these devices.

In summary; happy so far, continue the test and than decide what and where.

Back