Why does Oticon TV connect provide such clear listening to TV talk/conversations/words?

BeachBill

Reaction score
Why is the audio from TV connect directly to my Intent 1 HAs so very clear (pretty much 100%) and the audio from my speaker bar is only about 80% with me doing a lot mental work trying to figure out some of the words? Please don't spend time explaining the obvious differences (speakers & digital versus sound waves). Thanks in advance for any help with understanding this situation.

One of the sources for sound waves that you reference has to travel a relatively-long distance (10 or 12 feet) across open air, along with other competing sound waves.

The other source (after conversation from electronic signal to sound waves) only has to travel a fraction of an inch with no other competing sound waves.

Sorry, I spent time explaining obvious differences because I think it is obvious. ;)

It's the same principle when → listening to music with headphones vs speakers;

Clip; below from Understanding the Mechanics: How Headphones Capture Sound

In the world of audio, headphones have long been revered for their ability to deliver immersive, high-quality sound. Many audiophiles and music enthusiasts swear by the superiority of headphones over speakers, but have you ever wondered why this is the case? What makes headphones sound so much better? - First and foremost, it is crucial to recognize that headphones are designed primarily for personal listening. Unlike speakers that emit sound waves into a room, headphones channel sound directly into the listener's ears. This direct delivery effectively eliminates any interference or distortion caused by environmental factors, resulting in a purer and more accurate audio reproduction.

Here's a test you can perform, while listening to the TV speakers (without streaming) get up from you chair and walk over to the TV speakers.

Place your ear right next to the TV Speakers. Now the sound is much more clear, right?

Here's a test you can perform, while listening to the TV speakers (without streaming) get up from you chair and walk over to the TV speakers.

Place your ear right next to the TV Speakers. Now the sound is much more clear, right?
Good idea. Thanks.

It's the same principle when → listening to music with headphones vs speakers;

Clip; below from Understanding the Mechanics: How Headphones Capture Sound

In the world of audio, headphones have long been revered for their ability to deliver immersive, high-quality sound. Many audiophiles and music enthusiasts swear by the superiority of headphones over speakers, but have you ever wondered why this is the case? What makes headphones sound so much better? - First and foremost, it is crucial to recognize that headphones are designed primarily for personal listening. Unlike speakers that emit sound waves into a room, headphones channel sound directly into the listener's ears. This direct delivery effectively eliminates any interference or distortion caused by environmental factors, resulting in a purer and more accurate audio reproduction.
So, fitting for me would just be compensating for interference and distortion caused by environmental factors.

• No, because (streaming/headphones/earbuds) is clearer for ppl with normal hearing too. Why do you think teens have those earbuds hanging out of their ears?
  • Your "fitting" simply compensates for your hearing loss, in addition to clearer sound while streaming.
It's also the same principle that allows a whisper in your ear to be heard so clearly and not from across the room. Though, depending on your hearing loss you may not remember.

Maybe if you are a math person you would want to look at how to calculate → Sound Intensity at a Distance

Simply put, Sound Intensity/dB will decrease as Distance increases
-or vice versa
Sound Intensity/dB will increase as Distance decreases

Last edited:
Oh, there's one other big advantage with streaming via your hearing aids. You can also fine tune the sounds to how you want to hear them;
Louder, Fuller or Brighter, more or less Bass. The image below is for phone streaming. But It's the same if you click the next tab (TV Adapter / EDUMIC).

c2-jpg.151

Last edited:
Oh, one more point (and my apologies for dominating this topic); But I have studied this same subject in the past.

Streaming with the Oticon Intents seems to be a little better than streaming with previous Oticon models. And, the streaming adjustments (loudness, Mic, Sound-Quality, Power-Bass) seem to require less adjusting than previous models. In other words, the default-adjustments on my Intents were dialed-in much better than the default-adjustments on the More and Opn models.

Last edited:
Clip from → Stethoscope - Wikipedia :)

The stethoscope was invented in France in 1816 by René Laennec at the Necker-Enfants Malades Hospital in Paris.[1][2][3] It consisted of a wooden tube and was monaural. Laennec invented the stethoscope because he was not comfortable placing his ear directly onto a woman's chest in order to listen to her heart.[4][5]: 186  He observed that a rolled piece of paper, placed between the individual's chest and his ear, could amplify heart sounds without requiring physical contact.[6] Laennec's device was similar to the common ear trumpet, a historical form of hearing aid; indeed, his invention was almost indistinguishable in structure and function from the trumpet, which was commonly called a "microphone".
Laennecs_stethoscope%2C_c_1820._%289660576833%29.jpg

Last edited:
PVC, Thank you so very much for the information on my question. It refreshed my memory a lot on understanding sound waves so I now better understand the situation I was asking about. The YouTube you provided was excellent. Reminded of of studying physics in school. Thank goodness when I was in school (60 years ago), we only had to understand and work with Newtonian Physics and not Quantum Mechanics. Oh well, nothing for me to worry about now.

Back