Problems with Resound Nexia 5 and 7

fohlan

Reaction score
Hello,

I have been testing Resound Nexia 5 and 7 with normal ex-earphones and M&RIE earphones for a few weeks. Since yesterday I have had the phenomenon for the second time that after wearing them for a while, sounds suddenly come in too high, are too loud, and are also noticeably blocked out on the left. These are familiar noises/sounds from my everyday life such as family voices, clinking dishes, etc. This was not the case immediately after the fitting by the acoustician.

In each case a different device and different earphones were affected. In each case the left side is affected.

At work I wear a Jabra Engage 65 Convertible on the left.

I have connected the devices to my Google Pixel 7a and use the latest app from the store.

It is the case that I would like to say that the sound output is definitely different. As if the configuration of the device is/is being changed. Does anyone know this? Has anyone had similar experiences? What could be the reason for this? Can the device be affected by external influences?

After this has happened for the second time and I finally placed my order with the audiologist a few days ago, it makes me really think and unsure whether it is the right purchase.

Thank you for your contributions.

Resound Nexia 5 and 7 with normal ex-earphones and M&RIE earphones for a few weeks
"earphones"? In hearing aid terminology, they are called Receivers. Watch this brief video→ How to Change the Receiver

You are not wearing two different types of receivers (normal & M&RIE) at the same time right? Maybe you are wearing normal receivers one day, and then wear→ M&RIE the next day? Something like that?

At work I wear a Jabra Engage 65 Convertible on the left.
Woah? Do you wear this in addition to wearing a hearing aid? Your hearing aids are designed to process (ambient sound, also known as background noise, natural sound, or atmospheric sound). Your hearing aids can also be setup to "stream" sound (for example, directly from your cellphone to your hearing aids) in which case the additional Jabra Engage device is not needed.

As an attempt to summarize, perhaps a technology conflict occurs when you combine an additional device for streaming on top of a device designed for ambient sound, and especially the M&RIE receiver which has a microphone inside.

c1.jpg

Hello,

Thank you for your message. Of course I mean receivers (RIC). Google Translate swallowed that and I didn't notice.

And yes, I tested the normal RIC and the M&RIE one after the other for several weeks.

I am aware of the connectivity of the hearing aids. I also tested this extensively with my cell phone. There can be different opinions about the feeling and the quality of this. This is not the main point of this thread.

At work, I am an employee in an office with a colleague, I recently wore the Engange 65 convertible exactly as shown in your picture. When I then started testing hearing aids, I switched to the headband. At a dealer in Germany (I'm from here) I found a conversion that has a padding attached. It's more comfortable to wear.

My company is quite tolerant when it comes to purchasing new hardware. However, they will not pay for replacing the batteries in my hearing aids. The volume of calls is sometimes very high, meaning that the Engage's battery is not sufficient for the working day. After three years of use, the battery is so worn out that it is empty before lunchtime and needs to be charged. Of course, it is understandable that I do not want to further increase the wear and tear on the hearing aids through work.

The main concern of my post is the question of whether there is a possibility that wearing (operating) the Engage 65 on my ear "damages" or "can damage" the RIC of my Nexia. It is very noticeable that the left side always breaks within weeks. After this has happened several times, I am almost inclined to rule out the possibility that I have always received a bad receiver. Is there any knowledge or experience of this?

Thank you very much!

umgebauter-ueberkopfbuegel-mit-2-ohrkissen-fuer-jabra-engage-65-75-convertible.png

The main concern of my post is the question of whether there is a possibility that wearing (operating) the Engage 65 on my ear "damages" or "can damage" the RIC of my Nexia.
Yes, I think it's possible. The small wire tends to break at that last 90 degree bend where it curves toward your ear canal. But there could be another cause (aside from the Engage 65). Daily tugging on the wire to remove the receiver can also cause damage.

My receiver wire broke at that 90 degree stress point. But it was after a year (or so). Not a few weeks? Now I have custom molds which have a small plastic wire with a ball on the end for removing the mold. Now there is no stress on the wire when removing the (mold & receiver) and I haven't had a problem since.

dsc_0815-jpg.625

One possibility is that the cable is stressed when it is removed. I'll have that checked and maybe have a pin like that installed on my earmold.

Will the pressure of the headset on the cable affect it?

So you don't think that the evolve will electrically destroy my RIC?

With the Jabra Evolve 2 85 I would be free of the mechanical strain.

What else would you buy/test?

Sometimes when the wire begins to break from mechanical strain, it will stop working intermittently and you can hear the intermittent results in your ear. Also, if the break is big enough you may be able to view the damage by holding the receiver close to your eyes and wiggle it. I noticed that one of my molds would dangle when I did this!

HMm; I had not considered → Electronic Corrosion? Though if Electronic Corrosion could possibly affect your receiver then I suspect that other components inside the receiver would be damaged first, especially the balanced armature/speaker technology;

c1-jpeg.381

Last edited:
On second thought,,,
  • When your receiver wire is the correct length it should lay close to your head.
  • When your receiver wire is too short it will certainly lay close to your head. But maybe too close, and it may pull down on your ear and become painful by the end of the day.
  • When your receiver wire is too long it may not lie flat against your head and perhaps (if it protrudes away from your head) that could cause mechanical stress on the wire (especially with added vibrations from the speaker/headset).
Maybe take some pictures of your wire position, or place you finger alongside your head and feel whether the wire protrudes too far away from your head.

I think the length of my cable is OK. It is length 2. I once had cables that were length 3. They were really loose and didn't fit behind my ear.

Hello, after further tests the receiver was again k broken. ReSound's service confirmed to my audiologist that the defect could be caused by the headset. Now I wear a Phonak Lumity and test whether it is affected by the headset. Today I have experienced things again that bother me about the Phonak. When I listen to music it changes the sound. I have tested this reproducibly. I don't know why they develop such crap! Now I'm wondering whether the Omnia might have different headphones than the Nexia, but still come closest in terms of sound and features.

Today I have experienced things again that bother me about the Phonak. When I listen to music it changes the sound. I have tested this reproducibly.
Phonak has something called AutoSense which automatically switches to various different listening programs/algorithms based on when it senses changes to your sound environment.

Here's a link to a promotional video → Phonak AutoSense OS Explained
imo> All of these automated sound enhancing mechanisms/algorithms are detrimental when listening to music.

Is there no one here who wears a headset in the office?
I think you mean is there anyone who wears a headphone on top of one hearing aid?
I can't speak for everyone. But I think the answer is no? Though, I could be wrong.

For example; an incoming phone call can use streaming for phone conversations where the voice of the caller is heard (via streaming audio from a cellphone directly into your hearing aids) and your voice is picked up by the hearing aid microphone (for streaming audio back to the cellphone) and therefore back to the caller. No hands, because some hearing aids are equipped with accelerometers so you can just tap to answer a call.

Though, I don't know how this is setup for business phones (as opposed to cellphones)?? And I'm not the best person to ask because I don't stream my phone calls? Yet? o_O

c1-jpg.672

For example; an incoming phone call can use streaming for phone conversations where the voice of the caller is heard
Thank you for your feedback. I know this function and am aware of it. I make phone calls quite often at work. Constant streaming and phone calls would put a strain on my batteries. I would then have to have my hearing aid batteries replaced more often at my own expense. Why should I do that for my employer? It's similar to cell phones, with heavy use the batteries wear out quickly.

During my test I also tested the streaming function for calls via the cell phone. My experience is that the voice quality is only "good to satisfactory" in quiet surroundings. For me and also for the other person on the call.

It seems to me that you will be creating a situation of competing technologies when;
  • wearing a ReSound M&RIE receiver (which contains a third microphone inside the receiver)
  • And then, placing a headset on top of that microphone, not to mention the other two hearing aid microphones
Here's a link to a → post about the M&RIE technology from HoH-Community member→ @fireinzell who unfortunately no longer posts on this forum. Too bad, we miss him :(

The microphones (especially when there are three of them) are designed to pickup ambient sounds and not streaming sounds??? It seems like an odd combination to me. Though I could be wrong?

Last edited:
Back