Phonak Target's Dynamic Noise Cancellation & Noise Block Settings

orgullodemexico

Reaction score
Question for those who wear Phonak, AutoSense 5.0, and are DIY.

I wear Lumity 90s

For Speech in Noise and Speech in Loud Noise how do you have set up

1) Dynamic Noise Cancellation (default is 8)
2) Noise Block (default is 8)

I am one of those who can't hear the server when he/she is standing at my table due to background noise.

I took my laptop due a buffet restaurant where I knew it would be loud and my laptop on the table wouldn't be as rude as if I were in a fine dining restaurant. The noise level, as measured by the DecibelX app was 80.4 average and 89.9 peak.

I ran the sliders for Dynamic Noise Cancellation and Noise Block for SIN and SILN programs. I was trying to pick up conversation at nearby tables. I have set Noise Block for SIN and SILN to 17. There was a noticeable difference in noise reduction running the slider from 8 to 20. But at what point is Noise Block set to high that you block speech?

Even with noise block set to 20, my ability to pick up speech at nearby tables did not improve. I suppose what the pros say about hearing aid effectiveness being reduced to about 4'- 5' in noisy environments is true.

Pretty much the same results running the Dynamic Noise Cancellation sliders for SIN and SILN from default to 20.

Even with Dynamic Noise Cancellation and Noise Block set at 20 for SIN program, my ability to pick up speech from the next table didn't improve.

BTW - I do own and use the Roger On V2

I'd rather get my HAs to work automatically in most environments I'm in - after all who of us really wants to keep pulling out their phone and make adjustments for every situation? I also find it annoying that the Phonak app requires the user to create a new program before closing the app. You could potentially end up with 12 custom programs.

Even with noise block set to 20, my ability to pick up speech at nearby tables did not improve. I suppose what the pros say about hearing aid effectiveness being reduced to about 4'- 5' in noisy environments is true.
HMm; I never thought much about distance relative to Speech-in-noise, or Speech-in-loud-noise. But that sounds right!

If I think back to noisy situations when I had good hearing, my focus was on nearby speech unless someone from a further distance were to intentionally raise their voice.

Here's a related → BBC.Com-Link for AI's solution to the 'cocktail party problem' which talks about solving the cocktail party problem using the Wave Sciences algorithm.

Here's a related → BBC.Com-Link for AI's solution to the 'cocktail party problem' which talks about solving the cocktail party problem using the Wave Sciences algorithm.
Very interesting. This sounds like the technology that Phonak has incorporated in their new Sphere Infinio series.

Yep, three or four manufacturers are announcing progress in this area of Speech in noise using AI and Deep Neural Networks. I have only experienced Oticon's version and I can say it works well.

The current standard hearing tests performed by your Audiologist (Pure Tone Audiogram and Speech Understanding) do not include noise. Furthermore, these common tests are done in a sound proof environment to insure that noise is left out of these measurements!!

Future hearing tests may include an additional speech in noise test, a fast-and-simple test for (ACT/Audible Contrast Threshold). Also, Oticon's Genie 2 fitting software has provided the capability to enter (an ACT number between -4 and 16 dB).
Here's a video link which describes testing for → ACT/Audible Contrast Threshold.

However, today's very expensive Audiometers used by Audiologists do not yet have the capability to perform ACT testing.

I am hopeful that future hearing tests will include the simple (ACT/Audible Contrast Threshold) testing. :cool:

Pfft! But don't hold your breath!

The VA has there own Speech-in-noise test. It seems exactly the same as the ACT test. Though, no ACT-value result is provided, and (after conducting the speech-in-noise test) it is not used to alter your fitting Rx/Prescription. They simply accept the default settings from Genie 2 fitting software, and therefore ignore speech in noise.

For private-practice Audiologist, it seems that an initial/new multi-thousand dollar cash infusion into their business practice is the top priority. I have low hopes they will begin any new fangled hearing tests (in noise) any time soon.

Maybe there is hope when/if expensive Audiometers used by Audiologists provide the capability to perform ACT testing and therefore becomes a new Best-Practice standard??

Back