Oticon Real

Sandia gold

Reaction score
Hello, I am seeking some advice or feedback on how to proceed with dealing with a very very disappointing experience with my first pair of hearing aids. I have had a pair Oticon Real for a couple of months after taking first pair back. Maybe I am being way to picky or have unrealistic expectations. The devices are always "dropping out" or stop working at random times and they hardly ever charge beyond 75%-80%. I am curious to know if these problems are common for this model. Thank you

Hi @Sandia gold Welcome; No it is not common. Perhaps we can probe each issue;

What are you looking at that shows the batteries charged at 75%. Is it the→ Companion App? I use the Oticon Genie 2 fitting software as follows;
c1.jpg

Please describe "dropping out" or stop working. Do they not work at all? In a conversation do you switch from understanding the conversation to not understanding anything that is being said?

Last edited:
Hi @Sandia gold Welcome; No it is not common. Perhaps we can probe each issue;

What are you looking at that shows the batteries charged at 75%. Is it the→ Companion App? I use the Oticon Genie 2 fitting software as follows;
View attachment 753

Please describe "dropping out" or stop working. Do they not work at all? In a conversation do you switch from understanding the conversation to not understanding anything that is being said?
Thanks for the reply. I verify battery status with the Oticon companion app. When I say dropping out, I mean one hearing aid or the other will sometime making a crackling noise (not always) and just stop amplifying any sound and then at some random interval start working again. I use my iphone to sync with the hearing aids via blue tooth.

Okay, lets talk about this "intermittent crackling noise and stop amplifying". One ear or both ears?

Sometimes a hearing aid wearer may tug on the receiver wire too much; for example removing the hearing aid by grasping the hearing aid body to pull the receiver out of their ears. This could put a lot of stress on the tiny wire and cause it to break, or almost break. The wire tends to break at that last curve where it curves to enter your ear canal.

Test it like this; reach up with your fingers and wiggle the wire right next to your ear canal. If you can hear it crackle, then the wire is starting to break.

This morning after 8 hours of charging one is at 84% and the other is 87%.
I use domes for my ear piece.
I tried tugging a bit on the wire nothing seemed to happen, no noise.

Okay, I'm stumped as to why your HAs produce sound that is occasionally intermittent? They should not do that! Maybe ask your audiologist to replace the receivers?? Balanced Armatures (tiny speakers) are inside the receivers;

c1-jpeg.600

As to the battery levels, I will load the Oticon Companion App on my cellphone. Currently I don't use it. Maybe I will see a difference between the App battery levels and the fitting software battery levels?

Oh, one more long-shot thought about battery levels. Are you a single-set of hearing aids home? Because the Companion App will report on whatever hearing aids it is paired with. This is not likely a factor. Though, I thought I would mention it.

Last edited:
Thank you for all your good ideas and well intended efforts. No I only have one set HAs. The audiology folks Im dealing with are accommodating, its just that they're 50 miles away.

My Companion App shows the same %Battery Life as the Genie 2 fitting Software (or within 1% as they are measured at slightly different times).

I will try one more test charging both to 100% and see what I get.

Yep, both the my Companion App and the my Genie 2 fitting software show the same %Battery Life.
  1. The Batteries should charge to 100%
  2. The receivers should not produce sounds that are intermittent

I use my iphone to sync with the hearing aids via blue tooth.
I was assuming that the dropouts were while listening to ambient sounds. But let me ask; Are the dropouts during Bluetooth streaming between hearing aids and iPhone? Because that could be due to interference with the wireless signal.

Picked up new charger from audiologist, works as expected HA's charged too 100%. Also may have fixed the other issue as well. I was told to turn off several iphone features that are "known" to cause problems with these Oticon's. I have turned off system sounds and haptics as well raise to wake, so far I haven't had any problems.

Back