New UK NHS hearing aids

fairyhedgehog

Reaction score
After wearing phonak audeo aids with open domes for the last seven years, today I picked up Stretta Aya UP hearing aids with domes from Specsavers - they are NHS aids.

I've been using a streamer to connect my aids to my phone and my laptop for streaming but my phone doesn't have ASHA, and the Signia Streamline Mic available from Connevans says it doesn't work with Specsavers aids. Is there anything I can do? This feels punitive towards NHS customers.

Also, my left ear is only moderately bad, and having a mould in makes my voice really boomy and feels unnecessary. The mould in my right (much worse) ear is fine. Do you think I can get them to change the left ear to have an open dome while leaving the right ear with a mould?

These are seriously good aids and far more adjustable than my last pair, but they are going to take some getting used to and if I can't stream, that could be a deal braker and I'll need to fork out for private aids.

Any thoughts at all would be welcome.

Stretta Aya UP hearing aids with domes from Specsavers
AFAIK Specsavers doesn't manufacture any hearing aids, and neither does Stretta (even though the Stretta name is printed on the case).

The model you mentioned Stretta Aya UP looks like a ReBranded Phonak BTE model. Please read a DIY School Hearing Aids (v2.2) PDF File named (Unlocking ReBranded Hearing Aids) and scroll down the alphabetized-by-manufacturer sections to find Phonak
Stretta_Aya_UP_DarkChampagne_shadow-1024x0-c-default.png

Do you think I can get them to change the left ear to have an open dome while leaving the right ear with a mould?
Yes you can wear different acoustics for each ear. I can't speak to what NHS may or may not do? :eek:

and if I can't stream, that could be a deal braker and I'll need to fork out for private aids.
If we can determine which Phonak Model you have the we can look at the specs to determine the streaming capabilities. What are you interested in streaming? TV, Phone, both?

Please read a DIY School Hearing Aids (v2.2) PDF File named (Unlocking ReBranded Hearing Aids) and scroll down the alphabetized-by-manufacturer sections to find Phonak
Will do!
Yes you can wear different acoustics for each ear. I can't speak to what NHS may or may not do? :eek:
I'll have to ask them.
If we can determine which Phonak Model you have the we can look at the specs to determine the streaming capabilities. What are you interested in streaming? TV, Phone, both?
I want to stream from my phone, but it doesn't have ASHA, so that won't happen. However, I'd love to stream from my laptop so I can watch German learning programs! I do that a lot right now, using a streamer with my phonak aids.

I'm off to check out the file you mentioned now.

Signia Streamline Mic available from Connevans says it doesn't work with Specsavers aids

But Specsavers doesn't manufacture any hearing aids, and yes Signia Streamline Mic is not likely to work with Phonak hearing aids.

Oh? Maybe I guessed wrong. Maybe the Stretta is a Signia BTE and not a Phonak BTE?
motion_cng_x_p_pair_charger_1920x1080.jpg

Connevans says it doesn't work with Specsavers aids. Is there anything I can do? This feels punitive towards NHS customers.
Punitive is the wrong choice of words. Maybe you get what you pay for (or something like that). But don't expect the highest technology level.

Here's a clip from DIY School Hearing Aids (v2.2) PDF File named (Unlocking ReBranded Hearing Aids);

ReBranded Hearing Aid Models

Now that you have a basic understanding of the hearing aid "platform" and its (hearing aid models, sub-models and feature levels), you're done with hearing aid models, right? Sorry, wrong. There are also rebranded hearing aid models. ReBranded hearing aid models are duplicate models that use a different hearing aid name. Sometimes (and we don’t have statistic for this subject), rebranded hearing aid models do not utilize the highest technology level, and to complicate matters, rebranded hearing aid models may may use a special version of the fitting software, or they may use the same version of the fitting software, but with pin code locks.

I read the file but it's all a bit beyond me I'm afraid.
Well, the DIY School document is meant to explain how to program ReBranded hearing aids yourself. But you don't have to accomplish DIY programming of ReBranded hearing aids. Instead you can simply understand the concept of ReBranded hearing aids. In other words;
  • There is no Specsavers hearing aids
  • There is no Stretta hearing aids
  • There is no→ Spoon :cool: Hahaha just kidding about the spoon

Perhaps it's the model (Signia Motion C&G SP X) listed in the → Signia-Product-Catalog_2020-10.PDF.

Though it may be defeatured in ways that we are not aware of, and if Connevans says (Signia Streamline Mic doesn't work with Specsavers aids) then I think they may have better information on this subject than we have.

Last edited:
I updated the Signia Connexx NHS section of the DIY School Hearing Aids (v2.2) PDF File named (Unlocking ReBranded Hearing Aids) which is alphabetized-by-manufacturer to include these latest clues for ReBranded Signia hearing aids. Thanks @fairyhedgehog.

Perhaps it's the model (Signia Motion C&G SP X) listed in the → Signia-Product-Catalog_2020-10.PDF.

Though it may be defeatured in ways that we are not aware of, and if Connevans says (Signia Streamline Mic doesn't work with Specsavers aids) then I think they may have better information on this subject than we have.
It may be a similar model, but it's not rechargeable and it lacks Signia features like Own Voice Processing.

The hearing aid is rebrand from Signia's AX platform,use the Signia APP, you can see the Stretta documentation on this website.

Thanks @menglxs I will have a look at the AX platform.

Also maybe I guessed wrong about Connevans saying (Signia Streamline Mic doesn't work with Specsavers Signia aids). Perhaps Connevans is referring to older Connexx/NHS hearing aids models when they say that?

Typically ReBranded models are the same as the original model except they select one of the lower tier models without the premium features.

HMm; The→ Signia AX-Augmented Xperience platform brochure does not show any BTE models? That is why I was thinking the BTE models were from an earlier Xperience platform, and have not been updated since the earlier Xperience platform.

But while we are looking at the AX platform brochure, let's note that StreamLine Mic capability is available across all of the five tiers of models. It says, StreamLine Mic accessory Stream high quality stereo sound directly from any Bluetooth device
(Android devices, older Apple devices, other smartphones, PCs, laptops,
etc.) to Bluetooth equipped Augmented Xperience hearing aids (7AX 5AX 3AX 2AX 1AX).

And, looking specifically at the earlier Signia (Motion C&G SP X) model listed in the → Signia-Product-Catalog_2020-10.PDF, it is also shown as having StreamLine Mic capability.

Here's what I don't get?? We are talking about a BTE, right?
If this (Stretta Aya UP) model is a ReBranded model from Signia's AX platform, then Why can't I find that Signia AX BTE model?

Using Connexx 9.12, when I limit the displayed models to BTE I can't find any Signia AX BTE models? Though, if I use the v-expansion arrow for CROS then I can see AX models there under the CROS models. But aside from CROS I cannot find any Signia AX BTE models?

c1.png

Where is the equalivant AX BTE model in Signia Connexx?? Also (a related question) where are any AX BTE models in Signia Connexx??
Stretta_Aya_UP_DarkChampagne_shadow-1024x0-c-default.png

Though, if I use the v-expansion arrow for CROS then I can see AX models there under the CROS models
But wait, what? Yes it says (CROS Pure C&G AX) but when you click (Product Details) it is not really a BTE.
It's a RIC hearing aid. Here's the Datasheet for → CROS Pure C&G AX.
So I am back to the beginning, I don't see any BTEs in the AX platform.
Though, I do appreciate the link to WSAUD datasheets.

As a side note; I thought the Datasheet information about rechargeable battery life was interesting. It says;
The runtime of all lithium-ion rechargeable batteries reduces over time. The estimates are based on fresh lithium-ion rechargeable battery capacity. Under normal operating conditions, the battery will retain up to 80 % of its initial capacity after 3 years of use.

Last edited:
I do indeed have two Stretta Aya UP BTE aids, although one of them is currently back with the audiologist to have the vent enlarged

Back