Demant - (2023-Q3) Fitting software releases

pvc

Reaction score
  • Oticon Genie2 2023.2
  • OasisNXT 2023.2
  • Philips HearSuite 2023.2
All three were updated this month. I don't know what the updates are? But the file/containers are approximately 20%-or-so larger. You can download and install the updates by Right-Mouse-Button clicking the related-Updater in your Windows SysTray at bottom-right on your computer display. Thanks for the heads-up from @HomerSimpson in a different topic.

Were you able to install the Genie 2 2023.2 update on your PC, @pvc ? I tried to do it on mine from Genie 2 2023.1 and I noticed it started saying "Rolling back" at around 63% into the installation step (downloading was fine), then in the end it said "Installation Failed". This process also corrupted my Genie 2 2023.1 installed app (I couldn't find the app anymore), and I had to go to the Add/Remove Programs in the system to be able to confirm that the app has not been uninstalled yet, then I had to perform a Modify/Repair on the app to restore it to work properly.

So I'm going to hold off on retrying to install Genie 2 2023.2 again until I hear that most people are successful with it.

HMm; A couple of weeks back I got that same "Rolling back" issue. IIRC; I just uninstalled and re-installed Genie 2023.1.

But this time, the Updaters worked okay. I will fallback to 2023.1 and poke around some more. btw> The full Oticon Genie2 2023.2 is available if needed instead of relying on the Updater in your Windows SysTray. I will be back later.

• Uninstalled Genie 2 2023.2
  • Installed Genie 2 2023.1
  • Almost immediately; Genie 2 Updater signals that an Update is available to Genie 2 2023.2
  • Replied Yes to download the update (Download takes a while, 10 minutes or so on a 50-MBPS Internet connection)
  • Popup Installation Window
  • -Installing Base takes a while
Voila! - Genie 2 2023.2 is alive and well and seems to be working fine. One good thing about uninstalling/installing fitting software is that it leaves your Standalone-Client-Database intact. So you don't lose your database of client fitting sessions.

HMm; Maybe Oticon had a glitch in their 2023.2 update procedure?? @Volusiano did you encounter the rollback-problem recently (like yesterday?) or some time back?

Last edited:
I got the Rolling Back message in the failed installation yesterday. Today I tried again and the exact same thing happened. I got the Rolling Back message at 63% into the installation progress, then it failed. This time I save the log file so I can review where it went wrong. Below is a snapshot of the part where it said "Filed to install the MSI package." Any idea what the MSI package is, and how I can fix this issue on my end?

By the way, I also got the notification that the Philips HearSuite 2023.2 is available. I went ahead and installed the update and everything went without any hitch. So I don't really know what the MSI package issue is with the Genie 2 update. I'll need to research it some more, but if it rings any bell to you, please let me know. Thanks!

1691705562778.png

Well, I skipped selecting the Sound Studio in the installation, and it successfully installed the Genie 2 2023.2 and the Genie 2 Updater just fine.

I'm not even sure what the Sound Studio is used for in Genie 2 as I never have a use for it anyway.

In the Philips HearSuite 2023.2 update, I did include the Sound Studio selection for the installation and it went through just fine, though. So I don't really know why I have a problem with the Genie 2 Sound Studio inclusion for the update.

I did try both a shutdown and a restart on my laptop and neither of those actions helped make the installation successful. Only excluding the Sound Studio selection in the update menu seems to have solved the installation failure.

I believe Sound Studio is all the different sounds that you can play while adjusting your HA settings, cars/street sounds, woman talking, etc.

Perhaps the Genie Software is okay but the install package (MSI/Microsoft Software Installer) is broken/glitchy.

I tested/tried this, and it worked fine;
  • Uninstall Genie 2 2023.2
  • Install Genie 2 2023.2 from the complete (Genie2 2023.2.zip) file that a person might find in a PM/Conversation (for example)

Thanks, @pvc ! That makes sense what you said about what Sound Studio is for. I do have the complete copy of the Genie 2 2023.2.zip file as well (thanks to you), so if I ever need to use the Sound Studio feature, I'll break it out and try to install from there to see if I'd get luckier with it or not.

It may very well be something wrong with my laptop setup that caused the issue, seeing that your installation went through just fine.

I think it was an OIticon issue because a couple/few weeks back I did encounter that same "Rolling Back" failure.
ETA/Edit to Add: At that time I just dismissed it as an update that was not not quite ready for prime time.

Last edited:
Sound Studio could come in handy. Let's suppose you want to fine tune some speech in noise issues. Instead of waiting for Read World sounds the next-day (or next-week) to test your setting tweaks, you could just pullup some recording such as (Busy street near a construction site). Then listen before the settings change, and listen again after the settings change. Maybe not the same as Read World sounds. That is, jackhammer sounds are not going to be the same on computer speakers. But at least it's fun to play with.

EV7relq.png

Last edited:
Though I could be wrong, I suspect this "Rolling Back" issue is all related to installer-package problems from the source, and has nothing to do with our computer setups.

I am also guessing that the following (Uninstall/Install) procedure would resolve your Install issues;
  • Windows / Control Panel / View by: Small icons/ Programs and Features / Genie 2 | 2023.2 / Uninstall
  • Install Genie 2 | 2023.2 (again using the full package that you already downloaded)
Though, I understand if you want to leave well enough alone ;)
Tip: Uninstalling and reinstalling fitting software leaves your standalone database (with its Clients and client sessions) intact with no changes.

Last edited:
Thanks for this tip. I think next time I feel the need to use the Sound Studio features, I may very well do what you suggested -> install Genie 2 2023.2 using the full package instead of keeping the update install that doesn't have it. Because this 2023.2 update is so new and I assume not too many people have tried it out yet, I want to wait and see if anybody else may encounter the same issue I did or not first. Eventually I'll probably do the full package install just out of curiosity, but I'm in no hurry to wait and see how it pans out for most folks first.

Back