Clarity of sound...?

advid

Reaction score
....I usually listen to my TV with direct connection via plug in earbuds (super clear)... I've recently brough a pair of in ear aids - no too expensive but work really well..
The one thing I've noticed (especially when watching TV) is the clarity is not as good as the direct buds.... The reason is that the new in ear aids pick up sounds from not just the TV but objects around (particularly walls) giving a slight 'mushyness' of the sound as it picks up various bounce back from the room and walls.
Not much in it but definately noticeable....Away from TV and just talking/listeining/moving around ect the new aids are realy great . For the price I paid - a whole new freedom of listening much more clearly...

Hi @advid Welcome;
Typically a hearing aid wearer will want to "Stream" the sound directly into their hearing aids to get clear surround-sound audio directly into each hearing aid. Yes, surround-sound with helicopters flying overhead from left to right/front to back etc.

You will need a TV TV Adapter device connected to your TV/System usually connected via TOSlink/Optical Audio and then you "Pair" your hearing aids to the TV Adapter.

What model hearing aid do you have. Legacy HAs may not support streaming.

I've recently brough a pair of in ear aids - no too expensive
oic, probably one of the many, new, anybrand OTC hearing aids. You likely cannot use those for streaming.

..all I'm trying to say is - even if I purchased a really expensive ITE or ITC hearing aid it would still pickup the TV sound direct but the ' mini echo' effect of that direct sound also being picked up from the walls would give an in ear sound producing a slightly less clear sound than listening with ear buds linked directly to the TV

Initially our TV streamer was a nice novelty for us (she and I). But now, it's almost a necessity because we can understand all of the dialog when watching movies.

But, is streaming (in-and-of itself) worth all that extra cash paying premium prices for top tier hearing aids? Heck no, I agree with you.

It sounds like you've found a great solution with your new in-ear aids, especially for general use and conversations. The issue you're experiencing with the "mushiness" when watching TV is likely due to the hearing aids picking up ambient sounds and reflections from the room, which can cause some loss of clarity compared to direct earbuds.

One solution you might consider is exploring accessories or settings that can enhance your TV listening experience. Some hearing aids offer TV streamers or Bluetooth connectivity, which can provide a direct audio feed from your TV to your hearing aids, similar to your experience with earbuds. This direct connection can help reduce ambient noise and improve sound clarity.

It sounds like you've found a great solution with your new in-ear aids, especially for general use and conversations. The issue you're experiencing with the "mushiness" when watching TV is likely due to the hearing aids picking up ambient sounds and reflections from the room, which can cause some loss of clarity compared to direct earbuds.

One solution you might consider is exploring accessories or settings that can enhance your TV listening experience. Some hearing aids offer TV streamers or Bluetooth connectivity, which can provide a direct audio feed from your TV to your hearing aids, similar to your experience with earbuds. This direct connection can help reduce ambient noise and improve sound clarity.
..I did try Bluetooth earbuds..BUT....there is noticeable delay in the screen direct and what you hear in the ears....my wired 'plug in' solves this....

So now, we buy used premium hearing aids, and then bring them up to par using DIY.

However, I am fearful of the future because of the following recent development;
My rechargeable hearing aids usually last about 3 years before battery dies quickly. I send mine to Hearsource Repair site and get the internal battery changed out $249. Cheaper than getting new hearing aids.

Thanks for that. Nice to see someone is doing this. HMm; a bit too pricey for me. Maybe it will be cheaper in the future?? It would be nice (in the future) if someone is willing to remove the case and show us what the replaced battery looks like. ;) Or, perhaps if someone is contemplating getting their batteries replaced, Ask the Repair Service if they can share an image of the inside of the repaired hearing aid.

c1.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks for that. Nice to see someone is doing this. HMm; a bit too pricey for me. Maybe it will be cheaper in the future?? It would be nice (in the future) if someone is willing to remove the case and show us what the replaced battery looks like. ;) Or, perhaps if someone is contemplating getting their batteries replaced, Ask the Repair Service if they can share an image of the inside of the repaired hearing aid.

View attachment 787
The rechargable lithium internal batteries look just like the regular hearing aid batteries (in size and shape). My ITC hearing aids are clear, so I can see inside them. They split the outer shell, install new battery, and glue the shell back together. I have seen some of the replacement batteries on Amazon, but very expensive ($200+).

Can you see how the +/- wires are connected to the batteries. Or more specific, whether the wires are welded to the battery, or glued to the battery like this, (our one example from another forum);

3c35326ae0b9cf939164fb93ac1bb1a02a41167b.jpeg

Here's the forum topic related to the previous image of (Wire glued to battery); How to replace battery in Phonak Audeo M-50R - Caution; This procedure applied heat (in the form of a heated copper tube) pressed against the lithium ion battery. I have seen warnings about heating lithium ion batteries causing Thermal Runaway? Please do your own due diligence to determine if this is safe.

Can you see how the +/- wires are connected to the batteries. Or more specific, whether the wires are welded to the battery, or glued to the battery like this, (our one example from another forum);

3c35326ae0b9cf939164fb93ac1bb1a02a41167b.jpeg
It looks like they put a spot of glue from a glue gun, and then pressed the rechargeable battery down on that. Wires are attached on top. Looks like a small piece of metallic tape is stuck on top of the battery holding the wires. Tried to get a closeup picture but couldn't get good focus.

Attachments

• image0.jpeg
    image0.jpeg
    66.1 KB · Views: 3
Thanks for that! Probably not a glue gun because (I believe) the adhesive needs to be conductive!

Maybe something like in this → Utube Video for Silver Conductive Epoxy Adhesive, High Conductivity, 20 min Working time.
You can ignore the last half of the video which shows working temperature-range, etc.
c1.jpg

HMm; this makes me want to take the case off my Oticon Intents and have a look at that size 13 rechargeable battery.:cool:

Last edited:
Back